Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tuesday Teaching Tips & Tricks #1


Hi Friends!

I have been thinking about all the times I wish I had a nice go-to place for simple tips and tricks for teaching. Whether that be for classroom management, activities, decorations, ect.. So I thought, why not share a few of my teaching tips and tricks with you guys! From now on, every Tuesday I will try and share at least 1 tip or trick for anything and everything that is teaching. You can either try the tips out or just take them as suggestions, totally up to you. I feel that anything I can share to help out another teacher can make the world of difference.

So here we go with the first of many Tuesday Teaching Tips & Tricks!

Today's Tip & Trick:
Take Things Personally in a Positive Way

It is always important to take things personally, but in a positive way. You will always have that one student who will try their hardest to bruise your ego or make your day a nightmare. Remember, we are working with young children in elementary and developing adults in middle/high school. All of us have said things that either were not the truth or were hurtful when we were younger. As teachers we have to take time to remember that. Students say things out of frustration, boredom, or triggers from stress. Many times, especially for elementary level students the things that are said are in no way intentional or true. It is best to deal with the misbehavior on a more personal level then trying to send them to the office. Students will not take you seriously if you send them somewhere else for rewards or consequences.

Being a mentor in a positive way for students can change their entire outlook on you as a person. Owning up to your own mistakes and asking the student exactly what you can do for them is key. Gaining your students trust, but still having some "fear" to control behaviors is necessary to achieve good classroom management. Once trust has been established, remind your troubled students that you believe in them even if they make a mistake. A huge ideal I have held in my classroom is to stop and take time to mention the mistakes I make and how learning from those mistakes makes not just me, but everyone a better learner. When my students know that it is okay for anyone to make a mistake, not just me, they will feel more comfortable to be honest and engage in the activity/lesson.

I've vouched for kids during grade team meetings only to have them get into a fight at lunch the same day. They make mistakes, just like we all do. It's how we respond to their misbehavior that will determine if they'll continue to trust us. Explain that you're disappointed in their actions and that you know they can do better. Set expectations high and let students achieve those expectations, don't write them off. Tough kids are used to being dismissed as hopeless and therefore will continue to misbehave. Instead, show them that you care and are willing to work with them. Helping a tough student overcome stress or personal issues isn't something that happens overnight, but it is worthwhile for their development and future.

1 comment:

  1. I found this post really informative! I too think it is critical that we let students know that mistakes happen no matter who or how old we are. Keep up the great posts.

    ReplyDelete